Rogue firework starts fire at NE Albuquerque home

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — At a northeast Albuquerque house, fireworks landed at a family’s house – pretty much sparking a total-blown house hearth.

“This is the place the fireplace started out about in this article very last evening,” mentioned Andrew Martinez, who was pressured into survival method all around 1 a.m. “I was sleeping and my phase-mom woke me up screaming, the dwelling was on hearth.”

The trigger? A rogue firework from somewhere in the community.

“And then it melted this down, and caught what employed to be right here, was a cooler we used to place trash in so we could throw it away, and I guess it caught on fireplace and started off burning the residence,” Martinez claimed. “So I jumped up as speedy as I could and I grabbed the fire extinguisher and put it out.”

His speedy thinking saved most of the get rid of complete of family memorabilia, and it also saved what could have been a heftier property enhancement invoice.

“I know it is heading to be very highly-priced, not to mention the paint and almost certainly the stucco we’re gonna have to exchange down there,” he said.

Martinez said Albuquerque police and Albuquerque Fire Rescue arrived to look at it out. He claimed police did not mention regardless of whether they’d go after citations or fees, and he’s not self-confident this will prevent the continuous firework displays in his neighborhood.

“I genuinely hope persons are safe and cautious this fourth of July. Everything’s really rough as it is with fires and every little thing, we don’t need to have any individual to drop their residences thanks to reckless fireworks.”